* Info for tourist (The info from 2012)
– Route for 2 days and 3 nights is red line. It is around 700~1,000 Bol (100~130$)
There is two ways that the first one is to go to Chile and the other one is round trip.
(Last a few years, over 16 people have been killed on the road. It would be good to spend more money to choose good tour company in Uyuni)
– One full day tour is around 150 Bol (21$).
*Info for Cyclist
Uyuni(town) – Colchani town (Entrance for Salar de Uyuni) 24 km (15 mi)
Colchani – Entrance of Salar de Uyuni 4 km (2.5 mi)
Entrance of Salar de Uyuni – Salt hotel 8 km (5 mi)
Salt hotel – Incahuasi(Pescado Island) 66 km (41.25 mi)
Incahuasi(Pescado Island) – To Chile (Bahia Malu Malu) Around 20 km (12.5 mi)
(From Colchani to Incahuasi is kind of uphill and very strong head wind. If you go from Incahuasi to Colochani, then it will be kind of downhill and back wind.)
Total you will ride in Salar de Uyuni is only around 94 km (58.75 mi)
But there is other option like round trip or something other way if you have confidence that you will not get lost. Remember that if you go out of the main road, you will have been dangerous.
– Must need sunglass. (I read the journal that some people cycled without sunglass and then he went to hospital and stayed for three nights in the hospital.)
– Need Long gloves. I have six holes on my groves’ finger that it is really comfortable for Ipod. But after riding in Uyuni, I have too pain with six fingers because it was too dry that bleed.
– Make sure cover your all skin from the strong sun and reflection. It is an altitude of 3,600 km.
– Don’t forget protecting your ears. (I forgot cover ears that I got burn on ears as if somebody hits my ears with hands.)
– It was okay to sleep at Incahuasi, but the second day it was too cold to sleep on the salt lat. Although I caught terrible cold, it was not below zero.
* Info of Uyuni town
– I saw info that there is only one ATM in Uyuni. But I saw at least over three ATM in Uyuni now.
– Hostel will be around 5~7 $.
– The town is really far from the city that there is kind of no Wi-Fi. But PC caf? is okay for speed internet. (One hour, 4~6 Bol (Around 1$/ Close around 10 or 11 pm)
– Restaurant is twice price in the center. When you go down to two or three block, then you can find cheap restaurant. (Road is Peru y Arce))
– It is rainy season from December to March so that backpacker will love touring at that time, but not for cyclist.
*If you have recent information, please let me know.